Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Old-Fashioned Remedies - by Mom


Ever get stitches? What happened?
Were you ever hospitalized as a kid?
What were some of the “old-fashioned” remedies for sickness that you remember your parents using?


Well, I have told you about breaking the window with my arm and the many stitches and re-stitching that had to be done.  I believe those were my only stitches until Melissa was born and I needed a little sewing up.
I never broke any bones, or had my tonsils out or other disasters of childhood. Of course, I never had a bike either, so that eliminated one source of catastrophe.
          I was never hospitalized, but I did go through a period of very bad headaches when I was 11 or 12. I was pretty sure it was a brain tumor, thanks to a Reader’s Digest article. I had Mono in 7th grade, and then pneumonia just before 9th grade.  I got lab tests and x-rays for the headaches, and a work-up for the Mono, but I was treated for everything in the clinic and at home.
          I had a lot of nosebleeds as a kid, and my mom could get pretty freaked out about that, but she would call my Uncle Sam on the phone. Once he even came over to the apartment late at night to check it out, but it was just a regular little-kid nosebleed.
          Back then, we got chicken pox, measles, mumps, scarlet fever (whatever that is). Chicken pox the remedy was baths. Measles and mumps were treated with aspirin (yes! Before Reyes syndrome was known) and a darkened room. Since the only room with heavy, room-darkening drapes was our parents’ bedroom, we would get to stay in there during the day.
          One thing for sure, when we were sick, it was mom who took care of us.  My dad only had to hear someone vomiting to trigger his own nausea and vomiting.
          We didn’t own a TV for several years, but there was this repair place that rented TVs for $1 / day, and when we were really sick with a major disease, or when my dad got surgery, we would get to have a TV for a week, a very old-fashioned remedy, indeed!
         
          Other remedies:
          Baking soda and water paste on bee stings or wasp stings
          A liquid called Campho-phenique for chiggers and mosquito bites
          Vicks on your throat for a cold or sore throat
          A hot match-tip on a tick to make him back out
          clear nail-polish on a tick to kill him without leaving his claws in you
          Calamine lotion for poison ivy and heat rash

          I can see as I look over this list that many of the common things were flora and fauna – And things you kids did not grow up with in St. George—chiggers, poison ivy.
My mom was pretty advanced, read a lot and had smart friends, so she didn’t do anything superstitious or weird. She had a sister (Mary) who was an RN and both her brothers were doctors who lived at home while they were students, so she absorbed a lot of smart things from that.
          We were a sturdy lot and enjoyed good health, for the most part.

Addendum
 Small scrapes and cuts were treated with one of these antiseptics:
Tincture of merthiolate or mercurochrome.
 They were two different things, applied with a dropper. The glass dropper was not a bulb / suction medicine dropper but rather a solid glass tube with a solid glass sphere on the tip, which would collect a small amount of liquid from the bottle which could then be applied to the wound.  It was used as an antiseptic, and painted a red badge of courage on your knee or the palms of your hands scraped in a fall. As I recall, Merthiolate stung but mercurochrome did not. It was thought that the stinging medicine worked better, but that may have been a fiction based on a temporary household depletion of the non-stinging potion.

No comments:

Post a Comment